Perhpas, Father Along, I'll Understand Why



When I was thirteen my head conquered my heart long enough for me to pray a prayer--

"Lord, if I am to get married then I beg that you would only ever have one guy, the right one, be interested in me."

God has seen fit to not answer that prayer with a "yes".
Mac (not his real name) was the third guy to express an interest in me and the circumstances were rather unusual. I'm not going to take the time to go into details but suffice to say I had only briefly met him one time before he declared his intentions and came to visit.

I was very impressed. He was extremely thoughtful, unafraid to discus touchy topics (something I prefer to avoid), and displayed a stunning set of manners. The day after he visited he texted my father asking for feedback on his behavior and my respect bumped up a notch higher.

He had a wonderful sense of humor and noticed things about me that no one else did. I enjoyed him as a friend.

Over the next month Mac's visits continued punctuated by emailed discussions with my father about the two things I most wanted to know his convictions on--debt and divorce. Though he at first did not see our point of view on the latter issue he eventually did become convinced from the scriptures and I looked forward with curiosity to see how he handled the debt issue.

He and my dad had hardly touched the topic before I noticed it was a touchy one for Mac. Still I thought he handled it well until this past weekend.

Mac texted my father on Thursday night as I was getting home from a nine day trip across the country. He wanted to spend the long weekend with us. We said yes, but my mother and I suggest that my father first let Mac know my stance on debt would be a non-negocialbe.

In other words, he could be my friend but unless he changed his mind about debt there would never be anything more. He was still welcome to come for the weekend but we wanted him to be aware of our thoughts before he had committed to three days with us.

It was a hard decision for me, knowing that it could end a friendship I was just starting to take an interest in, but I knew I had to stand on my convictions and letting Mac know was the right choice.

Mac's response stunned me.

He got upset. He nearly demanded to talk to me instead of my dad. And then, with an abrupt excuse he hung up.

My dad talked to me about it and I said I would be okay with talking to Mac about his stance in person but I did not want to converse over either the phone or email at this point. My dad texted my response to Mac mid-day on Friday.

Mac has refused to answer.

My first reaction was anger. Anger that he tried to go around my dad to convince me of a contrary conviction. Anger that he would resort to this childish not-talking-to-you stance. Anger that he wasn't willing to work a little harder for something he had devoted so much time to.

Almost immediately the bitterness took over. Everything that reminded me of Mac was tainted because he himself now was.

And then the sorrow set in. I was sad that the friendship had been so abruptly ended but mostly, I was sad that he had been offended but what was really a kindness to him. It grieved me to know he was mad at both my father and I and there was nothing I could (or would) do about it.

Then, like a blanket, God allowed the numbness to drop over me.

I don't know how I feel. I don't know what I feel. I'm not sure I feel anything except dead inside.

Outside of this tent my depression is still whirling, occasionally seeping through to remind me it hasn't left yet but mostly, I just don't feel. 

I don't know what to feel.

What would God desire my response to be? At the beginning of this I had asked Him that no matter the outcome he would glorify Himself. I am still struggling to see how this result accomplishes that. And what lesson am I to take away? What do I need to learn from this? I guarded my heart, I stood on my convictions, I have spent hours with the Lord praying and reading His word. What am I to change? I am at a loss right now to know how He desires to grow me through this.

My biggest fear however is that I will be scarred. That this wound will not heal correctly but cause a hard spot in my heart that will forever incline me to wounding others. (Knowing a little backstory this is undoubtedly what had happened to Mac). As an INFJ I am already inclined towards the "door slam". But I do not want this. I want to grow stronger and not harder through this upset.

My second biggest fear is the knowledge that I will undoubtedly go through this again. At least once. I can think of no worse emotional hell for a young single girl.

But through it all, I trust that God knows what He is doing and that He is good. Perhaps, father along, I'll understand the why.





Comments

  1. I'm so sorry, that's so hard. But we are all sinners, don't give up on him too soon. I'll be prayer for you and him. I hope you two can eventually fix your severed friendship with God's helping hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gray! God worked me through my anger pretty quickly and I was able to forgive him pretty quickly. I am still praying that someday he will forgive me too.

      Delete
  2. it sounds like you're having a hard time. The best thing to do is just listen to God. Listen to what he has to say. Trust me, he's told me so much over the week. His love, his grace, his plans, all of it. It's scary to know which guy to accept into our lives. I had been scared that I wouldn't be able to hear what God has to say about the guy, but I hear him so much, that that fear has disappeared. Well, at times it trie to haunt me, but I know that God is greater than fear and pain, and he'll give me a hand when I ask.
    Here's a tip, look for the red flags. It's so hard to let people go (not saying that that's what you need to do) because we feel like we're the only ones who can show them the truth. Before we start relationships, we need to know that that man\girl (depending on which gender you are) is one on one with God. If he doesn't have respect for God, he won't have respect for you. God will handle the person. If the person needs redemption, sometimes, we're not the ones meant to be in the person's life. Of course be kind and love like God loves, but we cant love out of pity.
    Of course, I don't know if this even relates to your life, but I just felt like I needed to say that.
    Remember Jeremiah 29:11
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." ----God has plans for you. You just have to trust him no matter what. No matter what curve ball the world throws at you. He loves you. Don't let the devil have the upper hand or he won't stop tormenting you. Remember, submit to God, THEN resist to God, and he WILL flee from you. The other day, I started to feel really depressed and hopeless like I wasn't meant to be alive or to breathe. But then I felt like God was telling me to look at him. Look into his eyes and see his love for me. The love I could never get from any man, friend, or family member. His special, personal love for me. It was like 2 in the morning, and I had written like two pages of what God was telling me. I could hear it so clearly that it was almost audible to me.
    He hears your heart and he wants to give you peace, you just have to let him. Never forget his love. Don't ever stop looking at him.
    One more thing. Sorry this is so long! Remember in the Bible when Peter took his eyes off God and sunk in the water (he was walking on it before)? Well, we're like Peter. We look at God, but then we focus on the waves of pain and hurt around us and take our eyes off God. Then we start to sink. But God always offers a hand for us to take to stop ourselves from sinking. To stop us from drowning. Don't take your eyes off him. He loves you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hugs* I'm praying for you, girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! *hugs back* Your faithfulness to read my blogs is a huge encouragement in and of itself!
      On a side note: I hope to catch up on your stories soon. I've been missing reading them!

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am Paige and just found your adorable blog. Mind if I follow?
    What you have been going through sounds tough and I am sorry. I am sure your Heavenly Father is sorry as well and I am glad to read that you and him have grown closer. Some people get angry with Him and I have been that person before unfortunately.
    Have you ever heard of the book, "Before You Meet Prince Charming"? I have suggested it to many of my friends and sincerely hope you pick it up.
    Well, I will keep you in my prayers and hope we can become friends through your blog. Have a blessed day, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to "meet" you Paige and thanks for reading my blog!
      I have heard of "Before You Meet Prince Charming" but I am well on the side of being too old for it now. The good news is there are several books on the same topic written for women my age and I have had the chance to read several of those. :) Thanks for the recommendation anyway!
      Blessings to you as well.

      Delete
    2. Arnica, I have to say that you aren't too old for that book. In fact, I know of moms, teens, young adults, and women who are 40 who have read this book.
      Thanks for replying and am glad I meet you.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you Paige! I was actually down here to comment and recommend that book.

      Arnica, this book is not too young for you. You need to read it. Sarah Mally who wrote it is actually 35 and still not married. Though it is aimed at younger girls, it's thoughts and encouragements are timeless.

      I know this is a hard time for you, but you don't have to go through it again! God has not called us to have our hearts broken again and again. If you are not in agreement with a man on things that you are not willing to compromise on, then you should not be so emotionally involved with him that you are heartbroken when things happen.

      I'll pray for you Arnica. Everyone makes mistakes, but they are not the end. Don't compromise, and pray a lot.

      ~Libby

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for your prayers and thoughtful comment Libby!

      Delete
  5. God bless you, Arnica. Jesus surely knows how it feels to have a broken heart. May He hold you close as you work through this trying time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions (politely please) and be sure to check back later--I respond to every comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty: Is My Heart Really in the "Right Spot"?

Our Hearts--His Home

My Safety Line in Depression