My Book Guidlines



I am an avid reader. As in, I-read-an-average-of-100-books-a-year avid. And, I-have-miscellaneous-books-stacked-on-every-surface-in-my-room avid.

Because of this habit I frequently get asked how, as a Christian, I choose books worth reading.

My methods have evolved over the years but his past summer was the first time I actually wrote down some guidelines. They were primarily inspired by a book called Set-Apart Femininity by Leslie Ludy (a book I would recommend for any single Christian young woman over the age of 16).

When I skim the back cover or inside flap of a book at the library I ask myself the beginning questions. If I think the novel passes inspection I will take it home but as I read it I keep these questions in mind. When I am done reading the book I ask myself the questions at the end of this list.

Before/during a book:
  • Will this book glorify darkness, perversion, mock God or make sin seem noble even in subtle ways?
  • Will this book influence me toward materialism, idolatry, or pop-culture preoccupation?
  • (When considering a novel with a lot of romance--something I avoid in general) Am I allowing this novel to define my perspective on relationships or make me discontent with singleness?
  • Before sitting down to read this book, would I feel comfortable asking God to bless my time?
After I have read a book:
  • Do I lean upon books to bring the rest, refreshment, and enjoyment that Christ wants to give me?
  • Am I addicted to books?
  • Do I allow Christian books to take the place of really digging into God's Word myself?
  • Am I willing to use the time I would normally spend reading novels to further my prayer life and deepen my relationship with Christ?

The hard part for me comes when I am halfway through a book, drawn into the story and it suddenly goes south. Then what do I do? In good conscience I can't keep reading but I very much want to know "whodunnit"! Sometimes I do allow myself to finish the book as long as I keep my eyes open to the fact that something is wrong with it. More often I return it to the library and then look up the story line on Wikipedia/Goodreads/etc. It's not as enjoyable to look up a summary of course but my conscience then is clear.

Each person has to decided their own boundaries and guidelines but if you are a Christian then I believe your reading material choices should be governed by Philippians 4:8-- "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

How do you choose what books you read and don't read?
Have you ever put a book down?

Comments

  1. I put most books down that head in a direction I'm not comfortable with, but there was one I finished because I was really into the plot. I wish I hadn't kept reading, and I certainly won't do that again. :( Most of the books I read are recommended to me by other Christians friends and family, so the majority of them are wonderful books! You're guidelines are helpful and I'll keep them in mind. Good points—thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have certainly finished a few books I now wish I had not. That's life! We have to simply learn from those mistakes and do better the next time around!
      Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Okay, so now I feel slightly guilty because I just read every single book that looks good and has an interesting blurb! I admire people like you who think thoroughly before they read, that sadly, is not me. But hey! I'm REALLY REALLY good at warning people not to read certain books!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Christians we need to be careful what we fill our hearts and minds with. You don't have to be anywhere near as thorough as the guidelines I listed above but I do encourage you to consider what you allow yourself to dwell on. Proverbs 4:23 says, "Above all else, guard your heart,for everything you do flows from it."
      Thanks for commenting Gray! I always enjoy seeing what you have to say.

      Delete
  3. I have put several library books down. I do my best to stick with Christian fiction and I sometimes read reviews on Plugged In before I read a book or search for it. If you enjoyed Set Apart Feminity I'd recommend Girl Defined by Kristen Clark and Bethany Baird-great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian fiction is usually safe from morality and language concerns! I myself don't gravitate towards it because I find it poorly written as well as frequently centering on romance.
      Thanks for the book recommendation! I occasionally read the blog Girl Defined so I'd probably enjoy the book too.

      Delete
  4. Most of my non-fiction I read by recommendation...also, if it just catches the eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recommendation is always a good way to go!
      Thanks for stopping by Ashley!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions (politely please) and be sure to check back later--I respond to every comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty: Is My Heart Really in the "Right Spot"?

Our Hearts--His Home

My Safety Line in Depression