Rusted Stiff

Image result for tin man the wizard of oz

I was told the other day but a very old family friend that I was a "robot" when it came to emotions. He was not intending it as a complement but rather as an encouragement that it was healthy to have and show emotion. I was both stunned and a little hurt.

Often times I feel rusted stiff inside. I feel one way, but I know I should be feeling another way, or maybe not upset at all. So I wind up an immovable mess, unable to process any emotions correctly.

Reading the Psalms, we see the very emotional journals of David, a passionate man--after God's own heart. He never discounts his emotions, whatever they are. Nor does he tell God what to do about his emotions. Over and over we can find a surprising pattern:

A.) These are my circumstances and how I feel about them.
B.) God is awesome.
C.) Praise the Lord for being awesome and always taking care of me.

He doesn't say whether his feelings are right or wrong. He expresses them and then turns to the Lord and His goodness. David simply moves on to the more important truths of God's character and leaves his emotions  and their solutions in the Lord's hands completely.

God created us as emotional beings. He created us like Him--God is very passionate!

He is not afraid of our emotions. He can handle them.

And if I think about it, who do I feel the closest to? Not those to whom I always say "I love you", "I am happy to see you", etc. No, I am closest to those who I share the raw emotions with. The people who talk to when I am upset because I know they won't judge.

I need to stop allowing myself to feel so tied up by how I should feel that I don't give the Lord a chance to share the bond that comes from expressing to someone how I do feel. And then, because He is my heavenly Father, leaving it all in His hands.



 

Comments

  1. I've had people tell me that ;/ and often it was not done in love.Yes, good emotions are good. And with the right people they do draw people closer together. Still... we should be careful not to share our emotions with everyone... we can love everyone, but not all people are ready and willing to bond with us. And God created us each unique. It's good to not be easily agitated. It's good to have a control over your emotions. It's good to trust God first in all things :). So maybe you need to express your emotions more? And Maybe you don't. Maybe it doesn't always matter what others think, as long as you are healthily living out who God wants you to be.

    Also, David was a man after God's own heart, but it wasn't because of his emotions. It was because of his devout love and worship and trust. David was VERY passionate. And it got him in a lot of trouble, too ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree about being careful who and how we share our emotions with. And I think that can be different for everyone so that's why I stuck with the topic of sharing them with the Lord.

      Thanks for stopping by Keturah!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions (politely please) and be sure to check back later--I respond to every comment!

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Good Life

What's Comin' Will Come, an' We'll Meet it When it Does

Our Hearts--His Home