Loving Others with Their Love Language



Most of you are probably familiar with the 5 Love Languages, yes?

Though I prefer general personality tests I enjoy analyzing friends and family from every angle and recently have been considering the angle of showing and receiving love.

In my experience the vast majority of people have Quality Time as one of their top two love languages. I on the other hand, favor Gifts and Words of Affirmation. In fact, Quality Time is close to the bottom of my list.

However it has come to my attention that I can shower my friends and family with all of the presents and kind words I can imagine and still not be loving as I should. Sometimes, love requires a lot more sacrifice from me because it involves doing something I don't enjoy.

Like hanging out in my sister's 90 degree trailer (she apparently doesn't believe in AC) and listening to her tell the same five stories over and over for an entire three day weekend. Or simply sitting still and talking for several hours with a friend when I would rather be up and doing something active. It might even be going running regularly with a friend--much as I hate regular exercise.

Love is not just doing what would make me feel happy, though I should pour out my love towards others in my most natural ways as well, but it is considering others and doing what makes other feel happy.


What is your love language? 
How have you learned to love others who differ from you?

Comments

  1. Great points! Do you have any websites you use to determine love languages like there are personality tests? I think mine is primarily words of affirmation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Bethany!
      http://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/

      They also have a quiz for your Apology Language if you enjoy things like that.

      Delete
  2. Words and Time are mine :) Though I love giving gifts, too! I think you are so right . . . we should love others according to their love language! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have seen everyone CAN both give an receive in all of the languages. Most of us just have a preference.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions (politely please) and be sure to check back later--I respond to every comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Hearts--His Home

Modesty: Is My Heart Really in the "Right Spot"?

My Safety Line in Depression